Sunday 15 January 2012

2012 Goal two - 365 things lighter

Goal Two - Get rid of one thing from my home EVERY day this year.

So I've known for a while I have a genetic predisposition to horde (well we call it 'collect' in the Bos household). I aspire to live in a home where I have what I need, everything has a story or history. and I'm surrounded by things that have a considered place in our lives. Basically I want to stop collecting shit.

 I want to start living simply, where I am surrounded by beautiful things. But the beauty is in the considered-ness of the object, and how it enhances our lives.

I have half empty perfume bottles in my bathroom. 8 of them. I don't like the scent, some of them are really old, but I hang onto them. Why? I don't know, just because 'what if'. I don't even want to start on my makeup drawer, study shelves, or the dreaded third drawer down in the kitchen!

So this year I commit to letting go of 365 items from my home. One thing per day. AND, if I bring something in to my home, I have to give something up.

Today I cleansed my book shelves. I brought a kindle the moment they were released in Australia in an international edition. I'm an early adopter, so Sept 26 2009, I got my kindle. (I swear it rates as one of the happiest days of my life!) We had only been in Australia for 9 months, and because of our move I could only bring 15 books with me from NZ. So I haven't really needed to buy a 'paper' edition for quite a while... So today I cleansed 42 books from my shelves. I am leaving 5.

42 objects that clutter my home gone. I have already made $60 selling them on a local sales site. If I don't sell the rest, I'm donating them to the Salvation Army.

(I'm so pleased I started this goal AFTER I brought home the Royal Albert coffee set from NZ)

On another note, Pre Season starts tomorrow. I've decided this round to play the tasks to my husband and son. I'm going to try to get them to set some goals along side mine this round. A little excited to get started.

RachB
Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment